Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hero-less

"All my heroes are dead"

Those are the words of Bill Hicks in his last show, 1993, right before getting banned from life by cancer. I'm, nonetheless, not fan of Hicks. I appreciate his dark sense of humor, and especially his straightforward angry energy on stage, but I'm not his fan.

In fact when I think about it, my heroes aren't dead, my heroes just never existed. I can admire and recognize specific traits from others, their dedication, their attitude, their work. I read many authors, historical characters bios, but I can't see myself as a follower, I don't keep an interest in individuals for too long. I extract the considerably good knowledge and ideas and then move on. And when I recollect all my "influences", the scheme is so big, full of many fragments, it's hard to identify as whole known position, but just my as personal position.

This is why I'm very ambiguous about my political and my religious views. I can use labels to make it easier for people to understand, albeit it's hardly accurate.

I will never understand the mind of the followers completely. I will never understand how one can force oneself into a pre-defined parameter, disregarding personal experience and growth. I won't ever understand how one can aspire to be like someone else, but not to aspire to be better individuals for themselves.

Or how they can even "feel" for their heroes, to the point hysteria; the Beatles groupies fainting, the North Koreans crying over Kim Jong-Il's death, the audiences yelling at political rallies, the devotes chanting in trance at churches. I understand the power of the mob-mentality, as a temporal psychological phenomena, "getting carried away in the moment", but not as a permanent state of mind.

Between the many pros and cons of individualism, this is perhaps one of the best parts. After disconnection from the mobs and the labels, you have no one to look up at other than yourself.
You become hero-less. The only one who matters. The leader.

4 comments:

  1. My question is, why do we even need heroes? Heroes are for people too weak to save themselves man. I think it's easier for some people to aspire to be like someone else, than it is to just try and better themselves in general because its a more defined end-goal. And if you're busy worshiping someone, you don't have the time to think about your own life. Don't have to go through the work and effort and soul searching to figure out what will make you happy. So they pick some ridiculous goal they will never reach and then blame the world on their unhappiness. I apologize if most of that made no sense :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It made sense, and I agree!

    We don't need heroes, we need to start looking inside, not outside to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freaking awesome piece. I agree completely. I used to have a ton of "heroes" and all they did was distract me from focusing on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to sound like a narcissist douche. I mean that I tried so hard to be like my so-called heroes that I forgot who I was.

    ReplyDelete